M asked in TravelUnited StatesWashington, D.C. · 3 weeks ago

Is Virginia "southern" any more?

Seems as though most people I meet from Virginia have no semblance of a southern accent - and it's not just millennials - I know lots of people from various parts of Virginia in the 40-55 age range, and none of them sound southern.

I know that VA is south of the Mason-Dixon, but I'm talking in 2019. I know that Northern Virginia is not southern at all, and that's where a sizable chunk of VA's population is from. I also imagine Richmond and Norfolk areas are cosmopolitan, and I imagine Charlottesville would be too, due to the university. But what about places like Roanoke, Lynchburg, Front Royal, or Fredericksburg?

Many of the places like Virginia have added transplants from outside the "South". Of course, it varies from internal region to internal region. A transplant from Detroit or Sacramento doesn't suddenly sound southern when they cross the state line. Indeed, professional linguists say the so-called "Southern" accent is receding and is being replaced more with what is called the Midland accent (think Kansas).

• Very southern.

Not as "strong" a drawl as deeper south

but definitely a drawl.

(I, raised in the North, can detect a drawl in people native to Columbus Ohio, for example)

• M3 weeks agoReport

People from Columbus seem to have the same kind of accent as they do in Detroit or Chicago....