M asked in TravelUnited StatesWashington, D.C. · 3 weeks ago

Is Virginia "southern" any more?

Seems as though most people I meet from Virginia have no semblance of a southern accent - and it's not just millennials - I know lots of people from various parts of Virginia in the 40-55 age range, and none of them sound southern.

I know that VA is south of the Mason-Dixon, but I'm talking in 2019. I know that Northern Virginia is not southern at all, and that's where a sizable chunk of VA's population is from. I also imagine Richmond and Norfolk areas are cosmopolitan, and I imagine Charlottesville would be too, due to the university. But what about places like Roanoke, Lynchburg, Front Royal, or Fredericksburg?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Many of the places like Virginia have added transplants from outside the "South". Of course, it varies from internal region to internal region. A transplant from Detroit or Sacramento doesn't suddenly sound southern when they cross the state line. Indeed, professional linguists say the so-called "Southern" accent is receding and is being replaced more with what is called the Midland accent (think Kansas).

• Very southern.

Not as "strong" a drawl as deeper south

but definitely a drawl.

(I, raised in the North, can detect a drawl in people native to Columbus Ohio, for example)

• M3 weeks agoReport

People from Columbus seem to have the same kind of accent as they do in Detroit or Chicago....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.