Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

Why was the first all-female spacewalk important?

• Kevin7

I think it is not scientifically important but could be important to stir the interest of women into science and outer space exploration.

• Ludwig

It wasn't. It gave Trump something to talk about maybe.

To show all those 'Make me a sammich' dinosaurs that women are just as capable as men of demonstrating high intelligence, technical skills, perseverance and courage.

• Fred

I think it is because space has largely been a male dominated thing. Women have been there from time to time but generally were assistants to the men. This spacewalk was a female only venture and no men were helping them and shows many women are quite capable to take a leading role in space. For women it is proof that women can do many things as men can in what had been a man's job up until now.

It isn't....or shouldn't be. When Sally Ride, the first American astronaut returned to earth, someone gave her a bunch of flowers. She said women in space will really only really become significant when no one notices the difference. I think the same thing should be said about a bunch of women doing something together in space. They are just as good as a man in space where muscular strength is irrelevant. It shouldn't be a big deal. It still is because of sexual discrimination. I hope soon no one will notice.

• .

To some people, not to me, I could not care less

• Bill

it is a step in the direction for gender equality especially in an area where it is necessary for all to be able to work equally for the survival of the rest

• Mike

Some females attach significance to it. But, objectively, I don't know what it accomplished.

Females helping females. Done without help from a man.

cause it was probably the first time a female was in space