Anonymous

Strayer University?

I am heavily considering attending Strayer University, but doing online classes. I have read A LOT of mixed reviews for this school. I live in a smaller state, and most of the universities we have require a high GPA. Which won't happen for me because I did terrible in high school. I've been to the community college twice and I wasn't satisfied with it. And Strayer University seems like it could be a really good fit for me. So if you went to Strayer University how was your experience? Or if you know someone who went there how was there experience? And how was finding job? I don't know why people have such a huge problem with online colleges. I know some online colleges are scams and a complete rip off, but Strayer is accredited.  

• MS

We had a Strayer campus near us and it was shut down. I didn't talk to anyone who was happy with their experience there. It is a for-profit institution, and those should always be considered carefully.

My brother went to Villanova University online last year for a PMP cert. He said it was like Middle School. The problem with online schools is that they have a bad rep. Once a bad reputation gets around town, the employer reading your resume with Strayer on it will probably just laugh under his breath to be honest. What I would do is to pick a 4 yr school (Brick and mortar) that will accept Stayer's credits, take as many at strayer as you can, then go to the 4 yr school and finish your degree. If you do good at strayer you will be admitted to a Uni.

I know someone who went to Strayer. He was impressed with their administration staff -- they were very friendly and very good at recruitment. He was not impressed with his instructors or his classmates. He went there for one semester and then switched to another school. At the time Strayer credits didn't transfer to our state universities. I don't know if that has changed since then, but if you're going for a two-year degree and might desire to get a four-year degree later, you want to make sure that your Strayer credits will transfer. (Don't ask Strayer. Call one of your state universities and ask them.)

• .

Strayer University is a private, for-profit university. So I would stay away from it. But you're correct about the accreditation.