Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 weeks ago

Does it mean that my parents are toxic and constantly draining my energy if I always start feeling sick after being around them?

My parents have always been psychologically and emotionally abusive towards me. 6 years ago, I left home and went no contact with them, but recently ended up having to move back in with them until I can get my own apartment after an incident where I was living at first where I complained to my landlord about my roommates bullying me and he just took their side and kicked me out of the house. Ever since I moved back in, they have been trying to convince me that I'm mentally ill, telling me that bad things are always happening to me because I make poor choices and provoke everyone I cross paths with, and trying to talk me into quitting my job and getting another job closer to their house.

Now, I've been noticing that after I've been around them for any period of time (especially my mom), that I start experiencing headaches, fatigue, drowsiness, and [sometimes] irritability. (Even if they don't say much when they see me.) 

I also remember 7 years ago, when I first tried to leave when I was 21 and went to stay in hotel, when they tracked me down within a week, started calling the hotel, sending police to look for me, and telling other relatives where I was and getting their help pressuring me into leaving the hotel and going back home; supposedly under the pretense that my parents were worried that I been abducted or lured to the hotel; and all of the harassment from them actually caused me to have a headache.

Does this mean that they're toxic and draining my energy?

I had no other choice but to go back. I have no friends that I can stay with and everyone around me appears to somehow be under my parents' influence (as if they've been brainwashed against me) and unwilling to help me. I mean nowhere and nobody will rent out an apartment, house, etc. to me; whenever I look online for a place to rent, I only get responses from scam artists, but no real landlords; and then my job has recently cut my hours, so now I'm making less money than I used to make.

seems so. why have you gone back to social with them? I would stay away.

• Susie

Sounds like you see yourself as a perpetual victim. I think the problem lies with you.

i would move out even if you have to stay in a shelter, resorts take in the homeless too, i know cause i used to work in those places