Car RPMs abruptly drops after releasing accelerator while driving.?

I test drove a used 2012 Nissan Maxima with 89k miles.  I noticed that when driving about 35mph, the RPMs drop noticeably fast when releasing the accelerator.  

Cars normally decelerate gradually rather than an abrupt decrease in power.  I also noticed the idle wasn't steady when idling at red lights.  The car also seemed to have a semi sluggish response to pressing the acclerator.

My first thought is maybe the throttle body needs cleaning.

Are the any serious potential problem I should check for before buying this car to avoid buying a problem car?

Best Answer

Do not buy this car!! Why would you buy a car that obviously has problems. Way too many used cars around to mess with one like this.

• Dwayne1 month agoReport

Since you're a mechanic........Do you have any advice on what might potentially cause these problems?

• don r

Automatic transmission cars do that and manual transmission cars don't. Have the car checked by a mechanic if you want it.

mass airflow sensor needs cleaning

" Cars normally decelerate gradually rather than an abrupt decrease in power. I also noticed the idle wasn't steady when idling at red lights. The car also seemed to have a semi sluggish response to pressing the acclerator."

Uh no not always.

Those race cars, when you release the accelerator the rpms drop quite rapidly.

"My first thought is maybe the throttle body needs cleaning."

I think you should just put some fuel injector cleaner in with the gas before doing something drastic like a throttle body cleaning.

Your car only has 89,000 miles on it. Throttle body cleaning? That is something you would do at 189,000.

Check the air filter.

"Are the any serious potential problem I should check for before buying this car to avoid buying a problem car?"

Check the tie rods and the struts on the car. It'll tell you whether or not the seller drove the car like a f1cking idiot (i.e., racing other drivers, racing his car to work at 5 in the morning because he left the house too late, driving too fast over a bumpy road (which I hear these days in America arent that hard to find)).

Source(s): nothing