Should I tell my family that I'm gay and if so how should I?

I have been thinking I'm gay for a long time but a few days ago I realized I am gay. If you can tell me please take the time to answer.

Best Answer

Coming out is not compulsory and before you do, you should consider a couple of things.

1. Are you confident and happy with your sexuality? If you know yourself you will be able to stand up to any nasty remarks and discuss matters reasonably. If you are not confident or not sure, don't come out. 

2. Do the people you want to tell need to know? If you want to introduce your boyfriend or invite them to your wedding then they need to know. If they ask you and you don't want to lie about it, you tell them but if they don't need to know, why give yourself a label.

3. Do you mind the world knowing and having a label attached to you? Social media these days  guarantee that there are no secrets. Tell one person and the world knows within half an hour. Are you happy to have a label attached?Eventually you will tell your family you are gay but there really is no hurry. Take your time and do it when you are ready and ready for the consequences

• reme_1

A lot has to do with your age and how religious/homophobic your folks are. The closer to graduation the better- you will be out of the house soon. If your folks seem like they will be giving you a hard time, be prepared. You need to be strong inside. GO to the gay center, talk to the counselor and meet kids your age and adults who are out. You need to get to know a few people who can drive in case mom and dad go ballistic and throw you out of the house. It sounds horrible but it does happen. Be prepared. Have a little bag packed with some clothes and cash. Always have your phone and charger handy. Sometimes parents react rather badly at first and then cool down. You do not want to be locked out of the house with no where to go. Make a plan. Get strong inside. Be sure of who you are. For your folks contact PFLAG.org- a wonderful support group made up mostly of parents with LGBT kids who reach out to other parents. They will call your folks. Or you can just get info for them. I wish you well. Head up. Don't fall apart. Tell them you need to share some personal info with them and need their loving support.I hope all goes well for you. HUGS from a SENIOR lesbian

How should a stranger know without knowing anything about your family so I guess you should know the answer its your family

Don't tell them.