if i don't pay a medical bill addressed to me, but i am on my parent's health plan, will my credit be affected or my mom's?

I'm 18, i just had an xray and an mri. My mom just moved out of state and doesn't yet have a permanent address. I got a bill addressed to me, through her insurance, and she says she doesn't want to pay for it. If i don't pay it, will MY credit suffer, or hers? More importantly, if I Can't pay it in time, what should i do.

Best Answer

Yours will. It doesn't matter whose health plan you have or where the bill was sent. If the patient is 18 or older, then it is the patient's credit that is hurt if the bill isn't paid on time.

Sometime, if you ask, they may agree to allow you to pay it over time instead of paying it all at once or to pay less than the entire bill. They do not have to let you. If you can't pay in full on time, then ask them if they are willing to agree to something that you can do.

Your bill.  Your debt.  Just call them for a payment plan and let them know you'll try to pay them.

Its on you...period.

• Judy

Yours will. If she signed also when you had the treatment, pr you're under 18. hers might be also

The person Named as the debtor gets the credit score hit and lawsuit

Don't fret a Credit Score, IF YOU are not seeking Credit, lease, or employment.

• The Mikel
      3 weeks agoReport

Anon said it. The named debtor owes the bill payment.