Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 4 weeks ago

I cashed a check and also direct deposited it? ?

I tried to direct deposit a check from my job but it was taking too long to show up in my account so I went to the bank to get it cashed out instead. (Which is exactly what I told the guy at the bank) anyways, I just went to check my balance and the check went through! So I basically got X2 the money if that makes sense. Will the Bank realize their mistake and take the money out of my account? Could I get somehow get in legal trouble for not saying anything? Technically it wasn’t to my knowledge that that could happen...

• zipper

Your employer may have you arrested for being dishonest, and if you have direct deposit why are they giving you a check as well. THAT MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL< PLUS DIRECT DEPOSIT PAY DAY THE MONEY IS IN THE ACCOUNT>  Your company and you both are STUPID!

NOT POSSIBLE: If there was a direct deposit, there wasn't a check.

If you tried to deposit the check via your bank's app, and then cashed the physical check, and you are lucky, the bank will catch the duplication and void the electronic deposit. That will PROBABLY earn you a fee.

• Judy

yeah, when it get to the bank it was written on, they'll bounce the second deposit of the same check , and your bank will take the money back out of your account.

• Eva

The bank won't realize it and they didn't make a mistake, you did. Your employer is going to be charged twice for that check. You'd better talk to your boss and payroll dept. ASAP and pay back the money. BTW direct deposit is when your work sends your money directly to the bank. What you tried to do was a mobile deposit. It should show up as "pending" when you check your account. You do NOT get immediate access to the funds. The soonest you would have access would be the next day and that depends on what time you made the deposit.

• STEVEN F
      4 weeks agoReport

The bank WILL catch the matching check numbers drawn on the same account.

Yes the bank will notice.

Yes the bank will take the money out of the account.

The bank may also decide to charge you a fee for a bad deposit. You should contact your bank immediately and explain to them what happened.

CALL THEM ASAP, do not spend the money.

• A.J.

Contact the bank IMMEDIATELY and don't spend the extra money. It is fraud and theft from the bank.

Don't ignore it. There is a telephone number for customer service for your bank. Yes, it is to your knowledge what you did and obviously, it could happen because you did not cancel the deposit transaction. There are two ways to cash a check. You bring it to the issuing bank to get cash, or you deposit it into your account and withdraw cash. When you use your own account, you are not cashing a check. You are depositing it and withdrawing. You therefore deposited it twice at your bank. The check is going to be two withdrawals from the issuing bank if not fast about it, and then whomever gave you the check will be really annoyed.

• Don G

It's your responsibility to report the error to the bank. Have some integrity!