Anonymous asked in TravelOther - Destinations · 4 months ago

Can I stay in the japanese countryside and learn japanese?

About me:

19 ,F, latina/british mixed,on gap year. Been to japan before and have seen the city but as someone who grew up in a small city near the countryside areas it just gets a little too exausting and a prolonged stay there is just not for me. I like studying languages so have studied some japanese in the past and know hiragana+some really basic words+prases.what im looking for ideally (understand if not all possible):. Based in the countryside (near sea is my jam happy with mountains,lakes, forests and all those general chill places though) and/or in smaller town/city. . duration 2 weeks minimum- 2 months maximum (around 1 month is ideal) . being able to learn the language, possible course including support and activities would be amazing .more authentic exp? although I definitely will be one I would love to not feel too much like a tourist if ygm even it just for 10 minutes haha..not really important but japanese summer is something I would prefer to avoid hahamoney:I have money saved and can take shifts accordingly so don't worry so much about money with suggestions but of course cheaper is better and can't afford anything luxury.concerns:1) it may not be safe for a younger female to go on a trip like this alone2) my lack of japanese skills I will be unable to navigate/find activities and things to do between studying 3) this is just not real option

I know this is probably super unrealistic but any suggestions and advice remotely related is really appreciated! :D <3


this is my first time using this site and the format didnt work out ;.; this has become so painful to read but hope its still understandable

3 Answers

  • Anonymous
    4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    You can travel to Japan for 90 days on a tourist visa, so that won't be an issue. You'll likely have trouble dealing with the language barrier, though. I lived in Tokyo for a while and it was fairly bilingual, but once you're out of the city it's pretty much Japanese-only as far as language. The Japanese culture is also fairly xenophobic, so you'll have trouble renting or getting a call phone. On the plus side, it's a very safe country. You might try looking at staying at hostels since they tend to be pretty affordable.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 months ago

    I think you need a Japanese work visa/permit, YouTube videos about working in Japan as a foreigner.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Susie
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

    You might research if there are any volunteer organizations in Japan. Maybe you could volunteer to work with them for awhile.

    • Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

      Are we friends?

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.