Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelOther - Destinations · 4 weeks ago

Can I stay in the japanese countryside and learn japanese?

About me:

19 ,F, latina/british mixed,on gap year. Been to japan before and have seen the city but as someone who grew up in a small city near the countryside areas it just gets a little too exausting and a prolonged stay there is just not for me. I like studying languages so have studied some japanese in the past and know hiragana+some really basic words+prases.what im looking for ideally (understand if not all possible):. Based in the countryside (near sea is my jam happy with mountains,lakes, forests and all those general chill places though) and/or in smaller town/city. . duration 2 weeks minimum- 2 months maximum (around 1 month is ideal) . being able to learn the language, possible course including support and activities would be amazing .more authentic exp? although I definitely will be one I would love to not feel too much like a tourist if ygm even it just for 10 minutes haha..not really important but japanese summer is something I would prefer to avoid hahamoney:I have money saved and can take shifts accordingly so don't worry so much about money with suggestions but of course cheaper is better and can't afford anything luxury.concerns:1) it may not be safe for a younger female to go on a trip like this alone2) my lack of japanese skills I will be unable to navigate/find activities and things to do between studying 3) this is just not real option

I know this is probably super unrealistic but any suggestions and advice remotely related is really appreciated! :D <3

Update:

this is my first time using this site and the format didnt work out ;.; this has become so painful to read but hope its still understandable

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

You can travel to Japan for 90 days on a tourist visa, so that won't be an issue. You'll likely have trouble dealing with the language barrier, though. I lived in Tokyo for a while and it was fairly bilingual, but once you're out of the city it's pretty much Japanese-only as far as language. The Japanese culture is also fairly xenophobic, so you'll have trouble renting or getting a call phone. On the plus side, it's a very safe country. You might try looking at staying at hostels since they tend to be pretty affordable.

• 4 weeks ago

I think you need a Japanese work visa/permit, YouTube videos about working in Japan as a foreigner.

• Susie
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

You might research if there are any volunteer organizations in Japan. Maybe you could volunteer to work with them for awhile.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.