How to safely wash an old shawl?

I have my grandmothers old crochet shawl and it's possible 60 or 70 years old. I'd like to wash it but afraid it will be damaged. Any suggestions?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Eva
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago
    Best Answer

Hand wash it in Woolite or other detergent made for fine fabrics and cold water. Don't wring it. Roll it into a towel and squeeze the excess water out, they lay flat on a dry towel. If it has moth damage, it may not survive even a careful washing.

• Mystic
    Lv 5
    1 week ago

I would say do not let it get NEAR a washer OR dryer! Your best bet is to get a large bowl (like a big mixing bowl or something) and very gently hand wash it using cool water and a very mild detergent (think of a sensitive skin baby soap). Then, rinse it well and hang it somewhere safe to drip-dry. If you live somewhere appropriate, you may opt to hang it outside to dry even better/faster.

• Kate
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Very gently hand wash it in cold water and spread it out to dry. Never hang up or tumble dry.

• Joe
    Lv 5
    2 weeks ago

Go to the supermarket and buy one of those Dryel In-Dryer Cleaning Starter Kits.  They work swell !!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Old needlework pieces should be hand washed.

What "soap" you use to wash it depends on what type of yarn was used to make the shawl.

If it's a pure wool, you should use a special woolen wash, like Eucalan, because if any residue is left in the wool after washing, it won't harm it. If it's cotton or other fiber, any delicate soap you use should be dye and fragrance free. For white cottons, I use Oxyclean.

Use warm (not hot) water and swish the shawl in the sudsy water, then let it soak for 15 minutes. Do not rub or scrub, as this can felt wool (make the fibers tangle and stiffen).

Press out excess water. Never wring needlework. Lift and handle the wet shawl carefully so that you don't stretch or break the yarn because of the weight of the water.

Rinse in warm water at least twice, pressing out excess water between rinses.

When the water rinses clear, press out excess water, then roll the shawl in a towel and press out all the water you can. Lay the shawl flat on a large towel (maybe on top of your bed) and shape the shawl into it's intended shape. Don't pull or stretch too hard. Let it dry flat. Voila.

• Lolly
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Baby detergent (Delft) is better than Woolite, which can damage colors.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Do you have a local yarn shop? If so, take it there. They should be able to help identify the fiber and advise you. Wool from that era isn't washable, and there are various detergents for different fibers. Woolite is a general purpose one, but there are some speciality detergents that may work better. In general, you'll want to fill a bucket with cold water, add the detergent and shawl and very gently agitate it. Rinse with cold water without rubbing the fibers together (if it's old wool this can felt it) until the water runs clear. Spread it out on a towel and roll the towel up, squeezing out as much water as possible. You can repeat if necessary. Lay flat to dry - hanging it will cause the heavy wet yarn to stretch. Keep it out of direct sunlight.

Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

use woolite, wash by hand gently

• Rick
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

hand wash & hang-it-out to dry ........................

• Lib.rare.ian
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

DO NOT hang knits to dry. They should be blocked flat on a towel.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.