Does this sound normal for my new tattoo? ?

Hi I had my first tattoo covering my forearm two days ago, so still fresh. I was told to use bepanthen. But not to use it for a few days. So I’ve just been running it under the shower and drying it out after, the side of my forearm is quite swollen, not where it’s tattooed. And it’s also warm.

Is this normal or does it indicate infection? Thanks.

• It's normal for a tattoo to be a bit swollen, red and to feel like a sun burn for a few days to a week after getting the tattoo. You should be using plain unscented not dyed soap to wash your tattoo with. Try applying some ice and see if that helps. If it's pusing and the swelling isn't going away, then you should see a doctor.

about 3 years ago I had a tattoo that covered my calf in one 8 hour sitting. After a few days the whole of my lower leg swelled up and was warm. It calmed down after about a week and healed fully with no issues. If your tattoo is the whole of your forearm your body has taken a lot of punishment and is reacting normally under the circumstances: i.e. it's bruised and it's pumping white blood-cells there to protect the "injured" area. Personally I think it should be OK, so long as it isn't oozing or turning red or particularly tender. However if you're still concerned get it checked out - either at your tattooist or a doctor.

Good luck!

• audrey

Get it checked ASAP. Warm and swollen could very well indicate an infection.