Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 3 weeks ago

Are people from Europe, descended from Roman peoples? Specifically, are people with ancestry from England, Roman descendants? Thank you!?

So, if my ancestors come from the London area, or have French ancestors, is it possible that I might have Roman ancestry or are my origins Gaelic?

• Maxi
    Best Answer

In short no, although London was founded by the Romans it is very unlikely your recent ancestry ( last 50-500 yrs) were 'from London' more likely they migrated to London from other areas of the country.

In so far as "Europe" including Britain/Ireland it was a populated continent of tribal people well before the Roman invasion...just in southern England their were dozens of tribes https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Age_tribes_in... and just like any country in the world people are mixed ancestry, in so far as England with invasions , 'Anglos', 'Saxons' which were Germanic tribes, from Denmark, Sweden, and Norway. then the French Normans............but if you know anything at all about ancestry you know you can only research back at best 500 yrs, pre that it is guess work as there are no family relationship written records to prove it

Not necessarily./

• snafu

Yes. Romans had families with indigenous Britons .

• brother_in_magic
      3 weeks agoReport

Yes, a small minority did, but Romans were a mixture of people from all over the empire so could be Spanish, German, Gaulish, Belgian, eastern European, not just Italian.

unlikely , very few if any evidence supports actual people of England having any genetic ties to the Roman occupation , Most of the English ,Britons have genetic ties to early Germanic and Celtic tribes and some have ties to Norse invaders .

Some are, others are not.

White people descend from west africans

The Romans invaded Britain but did not get as far north as Scotland and Ireland. Maybe not even all the way through Britain or Wales. There are Gaelic peoples who were never overthrown by the Romans.

• Brent3 weeks agoReport

So, if my ancestors come from the London area, or have French ancestors, is it possible that I might have Roman ancestry or is my origins gaelic?