Anonymous

Has the typical American of Irish decent lost his culture ? Along with language ?

I'm of course Irish American , Or rather an American of Irish decent/heritage , And consider the fact that i don't speak the Irish language of my great grandfather who according to my dad spoke it. And wonder if because of are upbringing and loss of the language we have also lost our culture.

• Zirp
    Best Answer

---> descent

Yes, very few Irish-americans speak Gaeilge

Join the club.

We're the oldest group of "Americans" to have suffered this. Robbed of our names, language, history, culture, religion and of our freedom, we're STILL waiting for reparations.

Source(s): #TILLTHISDAY #BLM Agenda 2063 AR2019

Your culture is that of the society you live in. If you weren't born in Ireland and  don't live in Ireland, you don't have Irish culture, you have Irish ancestry (although you might follow a few family traditions). You are American with the culture of the part of the USA you live in. You have never had Irish culture so you cannot have "lost" it.

I have two Irish, one Scottish and one English grandparents, but I am neither Irish, Scottish nor English, I'm Australian of Irish, Scottish and English descent. My culture is Australian, not Irish, Scottish or English.

I dated a chick from Galway when I living in the US, she said it's a dead language and no one bothers with it anymore.

I wasn't born in the US, I'm not Irish and I've lived on three different continents. But I happened to live in an Irish neighborhood in Philadelphia. What I can say is can you pick up on some "irshness" in the small communities. Same is true with some US - Italians and Dutch. But a lot of people in the US have no basis for a claim to any other culture.