how can i listen to my cds throughout the night on repeat, if doing so damages the cd system?

i explained that id recently dug some cds out from an old storage box, cds of old music - the 60s, 70s and 80s....and my hobbie was to listen to a cd and put it on repeat throughout the night, so my cd stereo system plays the cd continuously, over and over......but i was told recently on yahoo that doing this could damage the cd player itself or damage the cds? is this true?

if it's true how am i supposed to listen to my cds throughout the night like i like to?

Best Answer

I have 75,340 CDs and 4 CD players. I never play any of them because they might get damaged or worn out.

Now how silly does that sound.

Play them, enjoy them that is what they are for. CD players can be replaced. CDs can be copied, If you are really worried about them make copies and play the copies until they wear out.

• I knew someone with a six-disc changer using a magazine, and the discs were held upside down while in the player. They began to look less and less clean, as though tiny flecks were appearing on them.

Five-disc carousels hold the discs right-side up.

• David

Playing them won't damage the CD's.  The CD player may wear out eventually but it's just normal wear & tear.  I've got two 300 CD changers that I keep going for days at a time.  They must be 20+ years old and still going strong.

• don r

......they lied to you. Their mouth should be sore from lying like that.

Murphy's law states, if something can go wrong it will. That means your CD player or CD will stop working eventually. The question that is not answered by Murphy's law is whether something will go wrong soon or it will happen in the distant future. So,something may go wrong tonight, the next month, the next decade or the next millennium. We simply do not know.

Don't worry about the inevitable --- 

any piece of equipment will eventually wear out or fail, 

but you Will Not destroy your CD player just by letting it run all night. 

Failure cannot be predicted or estimated, either. 

In the early 1990s, I bought a Sony CDP-390, 

which I believe cost me around $180 at the time. 

It worked great for a while, then, after being used only occasionally, it failed. 

On the other hand, the CDP-C70 carousel changer that I bought in August 1988 has been used a Lot and Not failed. 

Another unit, a CDP-270 that I bought for $9 at a thrift shop, 

needed only a belt for the drawer drive and has proven reliable. 

Then there is my first CD player, a D10, 

and it worked perfectly the last time I wanted it to, about 6 years ago. 

The discs Can Not wear out or be damaged 

by any player that is in good working order. 

So, Just Use It As You See Fit and be happy with it. 

Now, can we Please put a lid on this subject and get to something else???

• thanks so much for your feedback and answer, appreciated. yes, this is the last of these questions now.

• Brian

Yes you can. Doing so might wear out the system faster, but you can still do it. The CD should be fine, as long as you don't scratch it.