Do I have to pay a fine my landlord gives me?

Yeah you know the carbon monoxide detector in my aparmebt kept beeping all night and since I’m an electricon I disconnected it so I can sleep at night. Yeah you know that lndlord found out about it and now he wants me to pay to fix it but I need my sleep. Can he make me pay or should I take him to court?

Best Answer

if he is the owner of the property he should be the one paying to fix it, not you

You disconnected it.. RECONNECT IT show your landlord then as soon as he walks out the door disconnect it again. YOU were wrong to start with as you should have had the LANDLORD fix or replace it.. YOUR STUPID arent you. and you claim to be a professional electrician... HAHAHA... YOUR A TROLL..

Well, if something needs to be "fixed", then it sounds like you broke it. If you just disconnected it, then your electrical back ground should grant you the knowledge on how to put the detector back together.

Therefore, your post really makes zero sense.

If you broke it, fix it. If you disconnected it, reconnect it.

I thought electricians knew that when a detector beeps, it needs a new battery.

• Nuff Sed
      3 weeks agoReport

True, except that CO alarms may also beep when expired or otherwise defective.

You ARE NOT an electrician but you DID damage the property.

If you don't pay for it, you can expect eviction to be the LEAST of the consequences.

male pissing contests aren't worth it. fix it and sleep. 

In some cities it is a requirement for apartments to have working smoke detectors, and in your case you removed installed safety equipment, and you can not be a very good electrician because if you were you would have known to replace the batteries, the beeping is the notice they need replacing.

This has to be a TROLL question because even a high school kid knows what the beeping means, or you should not be messing with electrical wires because you are not bright/intelligent

I am not a skilled electrician but I know when my smoke detectors start beeping the batteries need to be changed

• Nuff Sed
      3 weeks agoReport

First, it's not a smoke detector.  Second, there are other reasons a CO alarm may be beeping, other than "battery needs to be changed". Finally, any actual "electrician" would know this and have the common sense to report it to the landlord.

Go ahead, take him to court and lose. You aren't being fined, you are being billed for the damage you caused.

• P

He would have to prove you caused some type of damage in the process of disconnecting it.  I really don't know what grounds your landlord thinks he has for making you pay for something you just disconnected to get sleep unless you are leaving out some important details.   I would certainly fight back, you could even sue him in court for lack of sleep.  They give sporadic beeps for two reasons 1. battery 2. Past expiration date.    Maybe he doesn't realize it's past its expiration date or it just stopped working and thinks you broke it. 

• STEVEN F
      3 weeks agoReport

WRONG. The ONLY thing the landlord has to prove is that it was disconnected.

Sure, take him to court. That way instead of the $50 to fix it you can spend $500 to end up fixing it. And end up looking for a new place to live too.

• Tavy

If you are an electrician why can't you fix it?..

They beep when the battery needs changing.

• Nuff Sed
      3 weeks agoReport

They beep for other reasons as well.  Some have batteries that CANNOT be changed.