Shannon Haner asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Can dog food cause seizures?

I've been feeding my 2 dogs Retriever dog food for years now and my Golden Retriever started having seizures which was weird, but then my other dog started having seizures as well. So it's a little suspicious

Perhaps if the food has poisonous chemicals, then that could be the cause.

It's very unlikely unless you were using some sketchy food made in a foreign country with poor regulations on pet food. Have they been to a vet? Chronic seizures likely need medical treatment. If they aren't chronic, there may be something in the environment that is poisoning your dogs. What else do they share (flea and tick preventatives, any supplements you give them, grooming products)? Give the brand name and product name, not just "shampoo".

Did you give them any spot on flea treatments or even vaccinations or anything like that, or do you have any other toxins around...ie..some floor cleaners or air fresheners etc.

• *****

If there are toxins in it because the food was contaminated, maybe. It could be lots of things in their environment, though, like cleansers, lawn fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, ingestion of a toxic plant or mushroom from the yard, etc. The food is not the most likely explanation, but certainly you can discuss the possibility with your vet. You are working with your vet to isolate the cause and treat the seizures, right?

i would take them to the vet and find out why theyre having seizures

• Susie

Well stop giving them that kind and see what happens.