What to do in my relationship ?

All I’ve wanted since 7th grade is to be a U.S. Marine. I’m now a senior in college and have a chance, after all these years, to enter the marines as an officer. My girlfriend tells me she loves me, but says that if I go.. our relationship is over. She says she doesn’t want to deal with the possibility of me going to war or deployments. What do I do? Stay with someone I love, or chase a lifelong dream, that finally is coming true. 

• Vicki
    Best Answer

Chase the lifelong dream?

Love comes and goes, but your dreams are what you spent your whole life reaching for.

• Burgoo

1234 I love Marine Corps

Did you two ever talk about your dreams and goals and childhood dreams and what you were working to obtain? Did you just whip this out on her? Coming to a point where you contemplate staying "with someone I love" vs chasing a lifelong dream... seems there'd be a couple of years there where conversations would have happened! Did she discount your dreams and ambitions? Did you never discuss them with her?

I think you pursue your dream. You might fall in love another 3-4 times in your life. This one honestly doesn't sound compatible for you.

Chase your dream, and you’ll find a true love who will support you. The Greatest Generation married prior to WWII very young, and withstood the sacrifice, and demonstrated their loyalty in honoring each other as a partnership.

• Lv 7

Don't mess up your dreams, goals, and career over a girl. A truly committed partner would stick by you, no matter what. If you skip out on entering the marines, then what's to say she will still stick with you? She might find something else she doesn't like and then leave you anyway. So face the facts in a logical standpoint because you shouldn't throw away your goals for someone who clearly isn't committed.