Could a 150w car power inverter be responsible for draining my battery over night?

Seems that my car dies every night, I noticed that it started to happen shortly after buying the power inverter. Mind you that I don't use the power inverter over night, but the battery seems to die every morning.

I wanted to add that even though I don't use the inverter overnight it is still plugged into my car. Does this still drain power even over night while not being used?

• Scott

Unplug it for a night and see if your battery is dead the next morning.

Yes,they all draw bit of idle current even if no load. If your battery is marginal and a dome light left on will kill it, yes. If its over 5 years old, consider a new one. Or a Marine type of greater CCA's.

In meantime, unplug the inverter.

Source(s): REF: repaired switching power supplies professionally 8 years.. These are very similar.
  • don r

It take a little juice to run the inverter whether you put a load on it or not. Disconnect theinverter when not in use, or power it from a circuit that shuts off them the car is off.

• Yes, the inverter drains power even when NOT being used. I had to replace the battery and the inverter in my car.

• .

Most of those converters drain power even when not being used. Mine has a fan and a green light on when plugged in. Check the sticker on your battery for date of manufacture. If it's older than three years, you might need a replacement.

• Anon4 weeks agoReport

i had 2 batteries sit, neglected, thru 4 summers of 110 degrees, with a charge, Both worked Perfectly. One was even a motorcycle battery. Replaced car battery because of starting problem when motor hot--foolishly, as this is a starter problem called heat soak; not a batt. problem.