Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 4 weeks ago

Child name change?

We named our boy Aryan meaning ”noble” in Sanskrit. We are a descendant of India and it’s a popular name there. However, we have learnt in a couple of years this name is stigmatized in America where we currently reside. To avoid all the consequences in future we have considered changing it to Aaryaan(pronounces the way it should in Sanskrit)or Aryant. He is almost 5 now and this change we think will somewhat tone down the degree without overwhelming him.Please comment if this name change is a right decision and which name is more suitable.

• Violet

'Aaryaan' will still be stigmatized.

I'd advise just changing his name to 'Ari', which is probably what people will call him when he's older anyway.

Dont be so ridiculous. Yes Aryan race means one thing, but you'd have to be a complete moron not to know the name Aryan is Indian and/or its heritage there. He's five years old, dont change his name because of ignorant people, what message are you sending out? If other want to know about his name, tell them, if they don't, ignore them.

• Amelia

I now know the name is common in India, but the first time I saw it I thought the person's parents must be neo-Nazis. I definitely think you should consider a work around to make everyone's life simpler. Aaryaan just looks like a real bad spelling of the word Aryan so I would not recommend that. I think Aryant would be a huge improvement over Aryan. You will still get a few comments about the word Aryan in the name though. You might want to consider the name Ary if Ryan is too different sound wise.

I'm sorry you're being given grief about the name in the USA. I think it's unfortunate for you to give up something that has cultural and personal meaning to you.

I like the suggestion of Ryan, but perhaps adopt it as a nickname and leave the birth certificate name as it is? It really shouldn't be too hard to explain to people that the name is of Sanskrit origin. Anyone with half a brain will know that it has nothing to do with white supremacy.

I do know something of what you are experiencing though. My sister is an anglo citizen of USA but married a Turk and all her kids have Turkish names. I have no doubt their names have made it harder to access opportunities such as job interviews. People assume all kinds of things from they may not speak English very well to they are dangerous Muslims.

It seems more suitable and it’s the perfect time to do it.

Your suggested change is not far enough away from the original. Thinkingtime has a great solution with the name Ryan.

• Silver

This is stupid. I'm Indian, and it's a totally normal, and popular Indian name. Who cares what people think? They'll care if they see swastikas too. Because Hitler was an idiot and tried to appropriate Indian culture for his perfect white race... like that is so far from white it is stupid. If he hadn't been successful in becoming a dictator, this whole thing would have been such a joke. Aryan is a totally normal name. I saw it was high in popularity on a list a few years ago.

How about Ryan. Mainstream but close.