HIPPA violations in One Flew Over the Cukoo's nest? ?

By today’s HIPAA regulations, what, if anything, did Nurse Ratched violate/threaten to violate?  Consider the ideas of civil commitment, age, and privacy regulation.

Hello Yahoo World! 

I've been given a series of questions to answer for a medical ethics class and I do not have access to this movie at this time and spark notes are not enough, can someone help me with this question I posted above? 

Thank you! 

• Flower
    Best Answer

Well, you cant commit a person on your say-so these days. They would have to have a lawyer prove they are incompetent or dangerous. They can only have a 3-day hold if they are a danger, then they are let go. It is not only that movie, but all films prior to the change in the law depict people being involuntarily committed to mental institutions. We also dont have many if any state-run mental facilities left since the Reagan administration closed them down.

• amy s3 weeks agoReport

Hey thank you for your kindness! You just saved a mom if a newborn a few hours of sitting through a disturbing movie or reading the plot line for line. Much appreciated...bye this nurse ratched character sounds is freaky, I’ll be watching it in the future. 

Sorry, my own ethics prevent me from giving you your homework answers. However, we all know that Nurse Ratched was a Wretched, nasty, manipulative and vindictive woman.

• amy s3 weeks agoReport

You’re ethics are **** as you ASSUMED I was expected to watch the film or read the entire book. Yahoo answers is here for questions to be answered not commented on. FYI I was given a 24 hour turnaround time to answer multiple questions pertaining to varieties of films and books. It’s efficient. 

BTW, McMurphy wasn't involuntarily committed. He was convicted of a crime and faked loony to get into a medical commitment rather than jail.

As far as I know libraries still exist AND the movie is available from several on line sources.

I'd suggest that you do your own homework.

• amy s3 weeks agoReport

So if I had been dishonest and posed this question from a position of mere curiosity, would you have aided me? I guarantee it would have been answered. 

You do know that there is a book too, and you can easily get from the library.

• amy s3 weeks agoReport

This is funny. I feel as though you’re more impotent than a wise mother. If Yahoo Answers exists, why wouldn’t I utilize it to streamline my process? My professor didn’t say read the books. This was assigned with a 24 hour turn around along with a slew of other documentary and movie references.