Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyTattoos · 3 weeks ago

Can an employer legally refuse to employ people because they have a tattoo?

I have a small trible shape tattoo on my hand and I've heard the shop I'm going to for the interview and is apprently VIP and don't allow tattoos. Can companies discriminate against if you already have one and it is not offensive.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Burgoo
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago
    Best Answer

yes, tattoos are not something the law protects from a discrimination standpoint

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

Yes unless local laws bar discrimination against tattoos.

• 3 weeks ago

YES, especially in TEXAS...  I wouldn't even hire someone with strange Tattoos on their face....  I could care less about tats on the body..  that's fine..  

• -
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

it may be illegal to discriminate but the employer would not be stupid enough to tell you that's the reason you didn't get the job. They'll give you a reasonable cause why they didn't choose you. On the other side of the question... you have chosen to get a tattoo and you must now live with that choice and the consequences for the rest of your life.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

They certainly can do so, Trollette.

• 3 weeks ago

Yes.  They can have a standard for appearance. Some will require you to cover visible tattoos with makeup.  This really is not different that requiring a uniform.  

• Rick
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

sure .....................................................

• Vicki
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

I guess it depends where you are located. But for the most part yes, because they can refuse to employ you if you don't fit in their appearance standards ("professional, suits, well groomed") and technically a lot of companies still don't view tattoos as professional.

• Mark B
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

"people with tattoos" is not a protected class. Any one can refuse to hire you. It has nothing to do with whether the tattoo is offensive or even if it is visible.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

KEEP TROLLING, SOMEDAY YOU MAY GET IT RIGHT.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.