Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyTattoos · 3 weeks ago

Can an employer legally refuse to employ people because they have a tattoo?

I have a small trible shape tattoo on my hand and I've heard the shop I'm going to for the interview and is apprently VIP and don't allow tattoos. Can companies discriminate against if you already have one and it is not offensive.

• Burgoo
    Best Answer

yes, tattoos are not something the law protects from a discrimination standpoint

Yes unless local laws bar discrimination against tattoos.

YES, especially in TEXAS...  I wouldn't even hire someone with strange Tattoos on their face....  I could care less about tats on the body..  that's fine..  

• -

it may be illegal to discriminate but the employer would not be stupid enough to tell you that's the reason you didn't get the job. They'll give you a reasonable cause why they didn't choose you. On the other side of the question... you have chosen to get a tattoo and you must now live with that choice and the consequences for the rest of your life.

They certainly can do so, Trollette.

Yes.  They can have a standard for appearance. Some will require you to cover visible tattoos with makeup.  This really is not different that requiring a uniform.  

• Rick

sure .....................................................

• Vicki

I guess it depends where you are located. But for the most part yes, because they can refuse to employ you if you don't fit in their appearance standards ("professional, suits, well groomed") and technically a lot of companies still don't view tattoos as professional.

• Mark B

"people with tattoos" is not a protected class. Any one can refuse to hire you. It has nothing to do with whether the tattoo is offensive or even if it is visible.

KEEP TROLLING, SOMEDAY YOU MAY GET IT RIGHT.