2 final statements with landlord?

My landlord sent me a final statement a week after I moved in. A few days later they sent me an email saying, they found more damages to the apt and they are going to send me another revised final statement. I had already sent them a check that is written out to them for the full amount that was asked the first time. On the check it says, final payment. Are they allowed to keep changing the final amount like that? They have not cashed the 1st check and I haven't heard from them since. They have till next Thursday for it to be the full 30 days. I live in Texas, I can't find any laws about them able to change the final amount multiple times or not. I am lost on my right on this. 

You got a statement right after you moved IN? You are being charged for damage that existed when you moved IN?

There is no law that prohibits the landlord from revising the charges for damages. IF the check had been cashed the landlord would have had to accept that amount. Apparently the landlord did not sign.

If you did not do the damages don't pay and the landlord may or may not sue you in Small Claims Court, and the landlord may or may not win.

Texas Law requires that the landlord RETURN your security deposit - or any portion thereof which he is not keeping against damages - within 30 days of the end of your lease (or month to month). If there is nothing to be returned he/she is not required to provide an accounting within 30 days.

For example, if the security deposit is $500 and damages are $400, he/she has 30 days to provide you with an accounting and a refund. If the security deposit is $500 and the damages are $600, he/she has an unspecified period of time to provide you with a demand for payment for the $100.

Do you understand what I'm saying? I personally find this very odd.

• Amy4 weeks agoReport

After I moved OUT, not IN. Wouldn't allow me to correct. So I guess I just need to wait till the end of next week to see if they provide another revised final statement. The 30th of this month will be 30 days since I have moved out. So wait till then?

If you have a "final statement", and you sent payment, IF the landlord Cashes the Check. You have paid in full.

If the landlord persists try city hall for the Landlord/Tenant Ombudsman, or a landlord/tenant attorney.

When you vacated the premises you should have done a tour with the landlord or landlord's agent. Making note of any problems.

" can't find any laws about them able to change the final amount multiple times or not." What is not prohibited by thee law is allowed. Laws prohibit actions.

It is perfectly acceptable for a business to send a revised "final statement" with in the allowed time frame.