Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 3 weeks ago

how long to really leave tampon in?

ive googled it and people are saying 3-8 hours which just seems like too much of a difference.

• Vicki
    Best Answer

Depends on the type of tampon and how much you bleed. The smaller the tampon (I'm trying to figure out how to explain that better... I mean, like the ones that say "for light flow") are closer to 3. If you actually have a light flow. Light bleeding, or spotting.

If it's a heavier flow and you have the right tampon for that, then you can leave it in for 8 hours. As long as you don't bleed more than the tampon can absorb within that 8 hours.

• Edna

There's no preferred length of time. Leave the tampon in until it can't absorb any more blood or until it begins leaking. It might be 4 hours, or it might be 8 hours, jjust depending upon how heavy the menstrual flow is.

"Light" or "Junior" tampons absorb less flow; "Super" tampons absorb more. Pick the one that best meets your needs.

I wouldnt leave a tampon in for more then 3 hours. Definately not 8, not only unhygenic but risk of infection. Overnight use Pads.

• Edna
      3 weeks agoReport

It's completely safe to use a tampon overnight. The risk of infection from a tampon is VERY small - unless you forget about it & leave the darn thing in there for over a week.

• PAMELA

I was once told by my doctor to leave a tampon in no more than 4 hours, and never all night, wear a pad at night.

• Edna
      3 weeks agoReport

I very seriously doubt that your doctor ever told you to use a tampon for no more than 4 hours or to wear a pad at night.

6 - 8 hours is fine, or longer overnight.

uhmmm no you do NOT leave a tampon in for 8 hours. I would say 3 the most.

Each person is different!  My system stayed so moist that I could not even use them! 

Pray to GOD for this answer. 

It depends on when you can get to the bathroom. More than eight hours is too long. It increases the risk of toxic shock syndrome.

• Edna
      3 weeks agoReport

Toxic shock syndrome is caused by a staph infection in an open wound (such as a surgical incision) & most staph infections are found in hospitals.. Tampons don't come into contact with open wounds. The risk of TSS from tampons was discounted in the 1970's.