Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 4 weeks ago

Based on this info, do you think this age gap relationship will last long term?

A 39 year old male dating a 22 year old female. They started dating in April of 2018 when she was 20 (almost 21) and he was 38. He took her on a west coast roadtrip for her 21st birthday, he took her to the san francisco palace of fine arts and to santa cruz and he rented a car and wined and dined her.

Then by August of that year they moved into an apartment together (her first apartment). Within a couple of months she started posting status's on Facebook that said stuff like "I want to know what it's like for a guy to love me for me, not just because I'm attractive", "I may be young and naive, but I'm old enough to be told the truth and not strung along", "Sick and tired of this ****"

By November he had moved back in with his mom where he was living when he met her. He was posting youtube videos about being heartbroken, about losing the woman he wanted as his "future wife" etc and she was posting passive aggressive poetry quotes on her public pinterest account about losing the only man who ever understood her.She also deleted her Facebook. They remained broken up until March (5 months) and became friends again. By June they were living together again. In July she was posting things like "you cant break a broken heart", "I know I'm not enough, so let me go it hurts to be half loved", "don't expect your girl to play her role when you have other girls auditioning for her part".

Last week they posted a photo of them together with all of his old friends saying "meeting my girl"

His Background: Hadn't had a long term girlfriend for 7 years before meeting her, lived with his mom. doesn't own a home or any property, was a personal trainer working at a gym

Her Background: Just got out of a relationship with a guy her own age (20 at the time) 6 months before meeting this guy, lived with her parents, worked at a coffee shop, spent 2 years off and on in inpatient treatment for anorexia, depression and suicide attempts, attractive but has low self esteem

Doesn't sound like an age gap issue. Also doesn't sound like a "go the distance" relationship.

• Vicki

I don't think the age gap has any impact here.

I don't think the age gap really ever does.

It sounds more like he's not treating her well enough. And she's getting tired of it. Maybe he's looking into other women. I don't think they'll make it, no. But not due to age.