Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 4 weeks ago

Who Should Get The EnSuite?

Moving into a flat with my partner and friend next year - the flat we're looking at a 3 bedroom flat with:

1 single bed 

1 double bed

1 double bed with ensuite

As I am planning on sleeping in the same room as my partner we have all agreed the single bedroom will be used as an extra study space/ guest room/storage room

but now comes the decision on who gets the en suite - the couple or my friend. The en suite bathroom is smaller than the separate bathroom but also provides more privacy so we're torn! - what do you guys think?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

This is for all of you to negotiate and agree on before you sign the lease.

IMO whomever gets the ensuite should be paying a bit more in rent for the privacy/convenience. The two of you should be paying more anyways since you will be using up 66% of the common space whereas your roommate will only be using 33% of the common space.

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I'm assuming your partner will also be shouldering a portion of the rent? If so, then the larger portion of the rent is coming from the occupants of a single room. It stands to reason then that a slightly greater level of amenity should fall to that room's occupants, to wit, the ensuite bathroom.

Also, if your partner is a different gender from your flatmate, both the flatmate and your SO would likely be much more comfortable if your partner's default bathroom was not the one the flatmate also uses.

• 4 weeks ago

Whoever gets the ensuite pays a larger share of the rent. Decide that proportion before deciding who gets the room, so it is fair.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.