Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 4 weeks ago

Who Should Get The EnSuite?

Moving into a flat with my partner and friend next year - the flat we're looking at a 3 bedroom flat with:

1 single bed 

1 double bed

1 double bed with ensuite

As I am planning on sleeping in the same room as my partner we have all agreed the single bedroom will be used as an extra study space/ guest room/storage room

but now comes the decision on who gets the en suite - the couple or my friend. The en suite bathroom is smaller than the separate bathroom but also provides more privacy so we're torn! - what do you guys think?

This is for all of you to negotiate and agree on before you sign the lease.

IMO whomever gets the ensuite should be paying a bit more in rent for the privacy/convenience. The two of you should be paying more anyways since you will be using up 66% of the common space whereas your roommate will only be using 33% of the common space.

• elhigh

I'm assuming your partner will also be shouldering a portion of the rent? If so, then the larger portion of the rent is coming from the occupants of a single room. It stands to reason then that a slightly greater level of amenity should fall to that room's occupants, to wit, the ensuite bathroom.

Also, if your partner is a different gender from your flatmate, both the flatmate and your SO would likely be much more comfortable if your partner's default bathroom was not the one the flatmate also uses.

Whoever gets the ensuite pays a larger share of the rent. Decide that proportion before deciding who gets the room, so it is fair.