Tax return deadline in PA! We don't owe tax any tax. I missed the April & July deadlines. What happened if I also missed the October one?

Question about file tax return deadline in PA!

My husband and I file tax return every year by a license accountant. I realized that the fee kept climbing up quite steep and our financial situation don't change much (kids in and out of colleges). So I decided to do on my own the 2018. We don't owe any tax. I missed the April then July deadlines. It comes to October deadline soon. What happened if I missed this one too?

If you don't owe, the IRS will not penalize you.

However, I believe that Pennsylvania is one of the states that imposes a failure to file penalty regardless of the refund or balance due.

As such, you will probably owe extra to PA.

The IRS still is accepting returns for 2018 electronically. They will probably stop in mid-November as normal. So, if you can your act together, you still file electronically.

You will owe a penalty of 0%

• Judy

For quarterly estimated payments, see https://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/Fo... , . 3rd quarter deadline is Sept 15 so yes, you missed it. Send the full amount with your 4th qtr payment by Jan 15. You might still be penalized for missing the first 3 pmts;

• Wayne Z
      4 weeks agoReport

I think that she is talking about her 2018 1040 and corresponding 2018 PA return.

They filed an extension and still missed the deadline.