Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 3 weeks ago

Why do Americans think they know everything, and yet know nothing?

I am a Brit who moved to America 2 years ago and all I have is people who went on holiday there once and think they know more about my country than me! They have zero idea, but then tell me I'm wrong about how England really is. Its maddening!!

funny because i'm a "yank" and my friend nathan acts like a know-it-all about the usa so i suppose it has nothing to do with the country or origin. maybe you met the wrong folks. i don't think all americans are like that, but clearly you had a built-in bias and they confirmed it for you. or you wouldn't generalise so much. 

It's the same with non-Americans. Many feel entitled to give their opinion even if they know little to nothing about the subject.

• susan

Funny, because I knew a woman who moved from London to the US, and she gave off the impression that SHE was the one who thought she knew more than everybody. I guess people who overestimate themselves can come from anywhere.

Why do many Limes (Not talking about the food) think they know everything, and yet know nothing? Many Limes do the same thing. And why use "Americans"? You're basically saying that all Americans think they know everything, and yet know nothing.

Perhaps because everything in England is one sided and there isn't much objective information coming from your media, wheres the US media tends to be more diverse so Americans have wider perspective on your country and probably think your opinions are just biased and one-sided, and you just don't know any better.

That being said, most Americans don't really think or care about England enough. Most people just know about Mr Bean and the Queen, and that's about it.

• silvermoon3 weeks agoReport

eh i call bullshit i'm an anglophile and know more about england than that

England isn't the type of country that hides it's characteristics the whole world knows how Brits are without traveling there and a lot of our ancestors came from England and brought those characteristics here.

• You say that

because you don't know as much as we Americans do.

• Frank

This isn't an American thing. It an everyone thing...most are polite enough to keep their mouths shut due to the peculiar habit of literally ALL the other governments having the ability to STOMP on the freedom of free speech. In the United States...we have the ONE UNIQUE "right" (actually a restriction ON the government) that our free speech CAN'T be dumped on or STOMPED away - even if what we happen to be saying is completely wrong or stupid or hateful or whatever. You might "THINK" you have freedom of speech in other countries...you don't actually. (and no...that is not one of the stupid things people say).

"congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech"...powerful stuff...NOBODY ELSE HAS IT.

What do they know?  where the queen sleep?   where does harry potter live?  or you drink tea instead of coffee?   

• Mark

It goes both ways, Feather. I am amused at Britons who ONLY have the US experience of being in theme parks in Florida, but they say bizarre things like "Americans only eat churros and hot dogs". (That would be similar to Americans going to Blackpool and saying "people in the UK only eat deep-fried Mars bars and only drink beer.")