What’s an acceptable amount of time to be kept on hold, on the telephone?

I was on hold for close to 15 minutes yesterday. I was very annoyed but I had it on speaker phone while I did other things. It was very important so I had no other choice to wait. More & more there are long wait times in lines as well as waiting on hold. I don't know how people have the time to continue all this waiting & be able to work.

Huh?  What ever YOU accept before just hanging up and moving on!

What does this have to do with renting ?

five minutes or slightly less.

That varies per individual.

Depends upon the nature of the call. Being put on hold when calling 911 for an emergency should be limited to a matter of seconds. Trying to get through to some obscure parts department for your rare antique might be left up to you how long to wait, to the extent you value your own time.

• Mike

Until you hear the dial tone.

• Maxi

No time is acceptable, if the person can't answer the phone or handle the enquiry they should not be putting you on hold, they should phone you back once they have the time/answer

• Mark

Maybe two minutes, unless the person on the other end has to research something and says so.

Acceptable to whom? The person who put you on hold thinks it’s acceptable for you to stay on hold until they are able to get back to you. You might have a different opinion.

No more than 15 minutes I'd think.