I'm replacing coolant temp sender and sensor on 97 Ranger 4.0. The old sensor was easy to replace but I'm having a hard time removing the?

sender. I've used PB Blaster with an open end wrench with no luck. I've messed up the head by turning so much and now using vise grips and also applied heat but it won't budge. I'm turning counter clockwise. I'm thinking it's the original sender.

Can you help?

After using a blow torch, various bolt loosening products and a deep socket wrench, I've got the part removed and replaced with a new one.

• Geo
    Best Answer

Using an Open End Wrench is the least effective way to remove anything tight. Sender/Sensor? You have an ECT and CTS, the first is for the Engine PCM the second the Gage. A 6 point Deep Socket should get it off, it's Brass so it isn't rusted in there. They make special deep sockets for Sensors, but it's probably too late for that since you damaged it.

• Geo
      3 weeks agoReport

Thanks, it's always best to use the Right Tool first.

• Erik

Try cutting a deep edge into it with something, and then getting it out with a flathead screwdriver.

• Erik
      3 weeks agoReport

What I'm saying is that you use something to cut a slit into the head. I've never done it but I've heard about it.