Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsOther - Science · 4 weeks ago

If cavemen already ate things raw, why did they bother starting to cook things with fire?

why did they think 'cooking' the food would make it better to eat?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Max
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

Trial and error proved it tasted better (or just as good)

• 3 weeks ago

During a forest fire a Deer was trapped and killed.

Cavemen found him and tasted his flesh that had been cooked; they found it to be delicious and decided they would cook their meet from then on.

That`s how cooking began.

• MARK
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

We do not really know. It could have been an accident or it may have been a deliberate experiment to see what happened. They may have found it improved food in a number of ways. It may have improved the taste, the ease with which it could be eaten and may have made them less ill. Although they would not have known this, cooking would have killed pathogens on the raw food. Having discovered by accident or trial and error that cooking some foods was better they would have continued to do so.

• 4 weeks ago

It might have made things much easier to eat.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Because the fire was already there.

"Caveman" is not a very precise word: which epoch? which continent? which human species?

Anyway, humans first used fire as early as 1.8 million years ago, more likely to keep predators away.

But since the fire was burning 27x7, they probably tested everything in the fire: stones, fry wood, wet grass (it smokes a lot!), wooden spears, ... and why not food?

They soon found out that fire made tubers much more digestible, and made the oldest carrion, close to decomposition, a safer food.

So fresh raw meat has never been a problem, let alone earliest humans, who still relied more on carrion than on hunted animals. Like all scavengers, our early Miocene ancestors still have a good immune system... But sometimes when hyenas and vultures were reluctant to share, they could only access very rotten meat.

In those cases, BBQing could help.

Things changed gradually, Because of millions of years of cooking, we lost part of our immune system,

If you call "cavemen" the Upper Paleolithic people (those who painted their caves), they were very similar to us.

If they probably enjoyed raw meat, the day they killed a game, they were not lucky every day. After a few days, cooking was mandatory, and even more if they had to deal with quite rotten meat.

Even in modern days, fresh meat can be and is often eaten raw without any problem. But we also like the taste of BBQed meat, this is cultural, not a health necessity.

• 4 weeks ago

Cave men didn't like raw meat. It didn't taste good. It was tough, and it made them sick.

• Vicki
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

Why did someone once milk a cow and think "You know, I'm gonna drink that."

Or why did someone juice a fruit for the first time?

Who looked at a blueberry or a grape or raspberry for the first time and decided "This doesn't look like it'll poison me" and why?

Who knows. Someone just got brave, looked at their food, and the fire, shrugged and decided this was for the best.

• GTB
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I do not know, I was not around then, it actually was before my time and most likely, I suspect, way before the time of almost all in this forum.

• It may have started out as an attempt to preserve the meat

or

it may have just been the result of an accident

that DID in fact taste better.

• 4 weeks ago

Evolution most likely.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.