Tom asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 4 weeks ago

Planning a tour of South-America; Where can i find the real Mexico,as opposed to the Americanised Mexico?

• John P
    Best Answer

Probably nowhere these days. And note that Mexico is often considered part of North America. For me South America stats on the southern border of Panama. The bits in between are Central America.

• Kevin7

Mexico is in North America not South America. i think visit Mexicans of diverse ethnic,racial, and religious backgrounds. I think visit Mexicans in urban,Suburban and rural settings.

• .....

USA and Canada are NORTH America.   Central America is bordered by Mexico to the north and Colombia to the southeast. South of this is S. America.

You're looking for the place in S. America without cars, plastic buttons, common forks and spoons and knives, without window glass or zippers or t-shirts?  All these everyday things are American inventions of the last century plus about a million more, like better gardens harvests, disease control, tooth decay solutions, eye glasses, radio, phones, and on and on.

I think what you might be looking for has long been gone.   :)

• Fred

I don't know … it's been 41 years since I just stepped over the border to Mexico.

They tell me things have changed?

For me it was sudden impact straight to the gut! Step threw a chain link fence and it's like the Witch and the Wardrobe! Bam! You are in a third world nation, people are living in cardboard boxes and sheets of plywood thrown together.

Turn around and step back North threw the fence and walk 1/4 mile and sleep in between clean spotless sheets in a Motel.

My Uncle insisted we step into a North of the border grocery store.. it was interesting! More parts of animals to eat than you ever imagined.

All of Mexico is Americanized if it were not it would be in political turmoil … or in more turmoil than it exists now.

I have farmers in my community that a few years ago entertained retiring and moving to Mexico… It's basically not safe to be rich, American, and live in Mexico.. They gave that plan up and continue to work (and pay taxes) in America.

If you are in some part of Mexico that is not Americanized... you are in a very unsafe and hazardous position! It's not the early 70's anymore!

Up north in North America.

• Mike W

You won't find real or fake Mexico in South America. Mexico is part of North America.

• .....
      4 weeks agoReport

Mexico is central. USA  and Canada is NORTH America.

• xyzzy

What does South America have to do with Mexico? If you want to find the "real Mexico" You should go to Mexico which is in North America.

• .....
      4 weeks agoReport

Mexico is central. USA and Canada are North America

• Sharon

Mexico is not in South America, so why concern yourself with it if S.A. is where you'll be?

However, be VERY cautious with water, as I got a bad case of the runs in Mexico. Most interesting places are the Yucatan, with Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza and other places. Also a small town on the coast, Chicxulub, is located in the giant crater named for it which was formed by an asteroid impact 64.98 million years ago, wiping out the dinosaurs

• KLB

do not drink bottled water, or tap water for that matter. An ER doc told me in So, America, they refill water bottles right out of the tap. This was following a 2 week trip to So, America, which sickened me for 6 months, likely due to bottle of water purchased in Peru,

• John
      4 weeks agoReport

Boil the water before drinking.

• John

Yucatan Peninsula to see Uxmal and Chitin Itza.