Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 3 weeks ago

Is it ok to fast my Betta fish for a day when he has fin rot? ?

My Betta fish was given to me already in a sick state and I just want to help him be happy and healthy again. I’ve been reading a lot about Bettas and I can’t find anything that answers my question. He’s turning a little bit pale and his fins are slowly getting smaller. He still is very active and is quick to eat when I feed him however, he rests at the top of the tank more often than the bottom. I’ve already ordered him some medicine and will be treating him for the fin rot soon. He hasn’t pooped in two days and I’m worried about him, I’m not sure what to do. I feed him once in the morning and once at night, only two pellets each time. 

• Raven

He needs to be in warm water, 80 - 82 degrees with no current. Daphnia is supposed to be a sort of laxative so that's good to give him, you can get it frozen at the pet store. Do give bloodworms and adult brine shrimp too. Use the fin rot med and follow the instructions to the letter. It is fine to fast him for a day or two, that is no problem. IMO you aren't feeding him enough though. Give 4 or 5 pellets each feeding, but please get the frozen foods too. Bettas are carnivores and you'll be surprised how he perks up and gets happy when you feed him meat.

• Bloo3 weeks agoReport

Thank you so much, your answer was very helpful. I’ll do my best!

• Jack H

Some idiot has been fighting him, he may be dying, do what you can, but don't hope for too much, good luck...

Feed him some live food, daphnia or bloodworms if you can, he can then feed as much as he wants without polluting the tank...