wife wants to allow her kids to move back to the house and I do not. ?

I bought the house in my name only with funds from my 401k. So she says it's still marital property. She wants her kids to move back in even after they are now grown up. They have no place of their own because of their own laziness, drug use and criminal behavior, including being arrested for assault on the wife. Does she have a right to allow them to stay at the house even if I say no

• Foofa

Whether it's marital property or not depends on the laws of the state in which you live and also whether there are any extant prenuptial agreements in place. Without knowing the laws of your jurisdictions it's impossible to say. However, if she's insistent and he's abjectly refusing this might be something profound enough to end the marriage over. In which case if this house IS marital property (as I suspect it is if this 401k money was earned during the marriage) the house would probably have to be sold anyway and the proceeds split between the parties.

• mmm

WOW - you bought the house with BOTH OF YOUR 401K - marriage means that dear

Before they move back in, talk about chores, rules and a timeline . . .

She needs counseling to figure out why she wants to let that kind of behavior back in.

• mmm
      3 weeks agoReport

sweety - the house is both of yours - you married her

if you bought the house before marriage - divorce would be an option

Even if the house is community property, she doesn't get to make unilateral decisions about who gets to live in it.

The two of you have to agree on a decision as large as this one.

One dissenting vote nullifies the other positive vote.

If you don't want them living in the house, tell your wife that you don't agree, and it's not going to happen.

That being said, you and your wife should discuss her children's futures more thoroughly. Perhaps there are community services that you can advise her to investigate for her children's needs. Perhaps you can help them find jobs. Try to work with your wife, not just fight with her.

I hear u dude - since my own children moved out no way I will let them move back - it is a bliss living just the two of us and a cat. u should express your will, she should be considerate of it - it is your house too, u have the right to live happily in it. but legally it is marital property if u bought it while being married and if u get a divorce it will get divided between u two. nobody cares with what money u bought it

• Mikey

It is community property now that you're married.  When you marry people with kids, this is to be expected.  Now you'll have to live with it if you want to stay married.  I'm sure you know all about them before you married......?