Can you help me with English please?

COLLEGE WRITING develops this idea by breaking down the writing process into a series of four logical, easily followed steps.

1. What do this word "by" mean in this case?

2. Steps means stage or level in this case right?

Thank you!

a long way of saying by would be "through the method of". By is used to indicate the means through which a thing is attained. How did you get here? By bus. How do you solve that problem? By breaking it down into small bits and solving each bit separately, then putting them all back together.

A step is metaphorical. It refers to taking each thing in its own turn, an orderly progression. Literally, the advancement in pieces. You have to complete each piece before you can do the next piece. Stepwise. Like walking from here to there,one step at a time. Each step gets you a little closer. Stage could be used to mean the same thing. It isn't really a matter of levels, although that is one way that step-wise change could proceed.

“By” means “in this way.” “I wash myself by taking a shower.” Yes, you are right about steps.

• Dave

1. 'by' means 'using the means of' in this sentence.

2. Yes, correct.