How common is it for motorcyclists to trade rides when riding together?

A friend of mine was in a motorcycle accident (not seriously hurt) but was riding a friend's cycle while the friend was riding his. Apparently they do this all the time. They claim it's common practice. I don't ride motorcycles, so wonder if it really is common practice.

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

Not common in all my 66 + years riding Motorcycles i have never traded rides 

• DanRSN
    Lv 6
    2 weeks ago

I have done it many times, but i have always handed them back happy to have mine back

• 3 weeks ago

I, for one, treat motorcycles like women. 

You don't trade women!

• Cap'n. America
      Lv 4
      2 weeks agoReport

A 'sickle is Better  than a woman.Last who rode pillion with me ended up owing me $290...

• 3 weeks ago

I can only imagine this question as being "Let's race for pink slips"

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

No clue sorry About that 

• Tim D
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I have ridden a colleague's Norton Commando around an empty car park, it should have been fun, but I was petrified I was going to drop his classic. I have also shared a bike with a friend (neither of us could afford one so we built a Triumph from a box of bits), he managed to ride it into a tree after only a few weeks of it being complete, mashed his ankle.

• Cap'n. America
      Lv 4
      2 weeks agoReport

This is why it's Rare. Even if similar makes/models, one with Kenda tires 
      wont handle like one with Michelin Commander II's 

• 4 weeks ago

Other than the mechanics at the shop and my riding brother noone has ridden my bike until lately since it's up for sale.

Have traded riding friends dirt-bikes a few times and the privledge to ride Jimmy Lewis' Dakar set-up BMW R1200 GS for a few laps , WOW! what a handful.

Source(s): Riding/racing for 55+ yrs.
  • 4 weeks ago

There's a saying about riders who loan their bikes to other people. Something about stupidity.

• Anon3 weeks agoReport

Yeah, stupid especially if bike doesn't have comprehensive plus 100% accessory coverage. Even Then, Hate to see her dropped....

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

I've Never seen it. No one rides my Harley. Unless an emergency. No Male passengers on her either, no one rides B****. Bikes are too expensive. Even with the same make/model, different tires can make all the difference.

EDIT: I Have ridden my renter's Yamaha, but. only basically a test ride after I fix something. Not long distances. I Guess he Could ride my Harley if emergency, still, I wouldn't like it. I'd rather "like" to fix his Pontiac, Again...

Ref: Been on 33 runs, rides.With Hells Angels AZ, Huns, Cochise Riders, ALR, CMA, Berserkers. To Gila River, Rocky Point, Mormon Lake runs. Tombstone last weekend. Never saw Anyone even Touch another's 'sickle.

• 4 weeks ago

I can't really answer how common it is, but can tell you it's bad practice. Each bike has a unique 'feel' which takes a little getting used to. For instance, some bikes run wider into corners than others, so whereas your bike can take the corner at a certain speed, your mate's bike may not.

If you've ridden that particular bike before you'll still have a feel for iit, if not don't expect to race around corners and keep up with your mate. You're not only putting your life at risk, but have the potential of wrecking your own bike and losing a friend.

My Fazer 1000 is a very capable bike but nowhere near as confident in the corners as the Honda Firestorm I owned due to softer suspension. A swap without respecting its limitations would be suicide.

Hope that helps.

• FOXY Di
      Lv 4
      3 weeks agoReport

Kla, this is not a mobile phone question so get lost.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.