Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 3 weeks ago

Bankruptcy question?

I make 890.00 a month Sicual Security disability  income. I am permanently disabled. This is a 2 part question.

Part one: student loans is garnishing my check for around 140.00 a month. I know that you can't file bankruptcy on student loans but can bankruptcy stop the garnishment and can the interest be forgiven?

Part two: I owe back taxes on my property and it went to auction but did not sale. Now the county wants to take it and said they can evict. Can a chapter 13 bankruptcy stop that and make it so I can make payments? The county will not take payments?

I reside in Flirida but assume the rules and regulations are same fur all states.

• Judith

No. If you file bankruptcy it won't stop the garnishment on your social security checks.

You are correct in assuming that the state you reside in is immaterial since social security is a federal agency and federal laws apply in all states.

Source(s): I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.
  • Judy

No, bankruptcy won't do either of those.