Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 4 weeks ago

If everything today (like the classics which are fundamental) is deciphered for you, why bother reading books?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Best Answer

Because I like reading and discovering things for myself.

• 4 weeks ago

Because knowing where to look things up isn't remotely the same as having done the actual work yourself.

• 4 weeks ago

When you say "deciphered," do you mean "transposed into boring vapid dumbed-down prose with all of the interesting parts of the original lost?" Well, sure, you can turn Romeo and Juliet into a version that says "These two kids whose families hate each other fall in love, then they die," but that's not what people pay zillions of dollars EVEN TODAY to see on stage, on movie screens, on TV.

I mean yeah you can get vitamins with a vitamin pill but that doesn't mean that eating at a fine restaurant in Paris or Beijing -- or a smoky barbecue shack in a tiny Texas crossroads -- isn't infinitely more enjoyable.

But yeah, you go read your stupid Shmoopnotes and die bored.

• Tina
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

What do you mean by 'deciphered'? are you suggesting reading criticism rather than the text itself? - but you would still be reading a book.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're asking, but I would certainly recommend reading books.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Andrew
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Nothing that you've said comes even remotely close to making even momentary sense. Classics are not "fundamental" reading. A great many classics are difficult and dense and only serious readers have read them, or even attempted to read them. Many of the people who consider themselves to be readers have never put away a single classic, and that hasn't prevented them from enjoying all sorts of modern books of many different types. And classics have not been "deciphered" for anyone. That's like saying that paintings have been deciphered so there's no reason to look at them anymore. It's absurd. Sure, you can read classics for the story, but you can also read them to appreciate them. Just because a book has been deconstructed, that doesn't mean that it isn't worth trying to crack it for one's self. Literature is art. Some people enjoy the experience of analysing and just appreciating it - admiring the artful skill and the talent that goes into crafting an impressive piece of writing.

• 4 weeks ago

Because it's fun

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.