As an adult, should you change your name if you dislike it ?

My name is Redd, like the color but with an extra d. My entire life I have despised my name, I am a man in his mid 20's. My only problem is how much of a pain in the butt is it to actually legally change your first name? 

• reme_1

CAll the court house and ask what it takes to legally change your name. If money is an issue, tell them you want to do it with reduced rates.

IT is a pain in the neck for a short time. You are the one who has to remember it. I did it at 50 years old because my last name was hard to pronounce and I was starting a business. It was great for me and in the past 20 years I have only written my "old" name a couple of times. Just remember to pick a name that you will like and keep-- there is a lot of paperwork that you will have to do: all Identification, driver's license, social security, school records, bank records, etc. Make a number of copies that are "legal". You'll need them.

• Tj

Yes, you can legally change your name, you can even change your last name. It must be done in court to be legal.

Just go by your middle name.

The only issue with legally changing it is that you'll also have to change it with every single service you've signed up for. Banks, Electrical, Renting, etc.

Easier just to not tell people your "real" name and instead introduce yourself by your chosen name.

As an adult, should you change your name if you dislike it ? Just do it

I wouldn't do it, there are many people with weird names out there and there's nothing wrong with it. Some people don't like their name because it's too common and want a more original one (as it's my case). To me, your name doesn't look special, at least no more than names like Ted, Tom, Sam, Jim or Jack.

To change it, its not the end of life as we know it.

Yet understand, your name is unique, some people would kill to not have a common name like John or Tom etc. Where as your not going to go to a party or work or join a club and someone will say we had a Redd here yesterday.

Provided that your intention is not fraud, you can use any name you like at any time. If you don't like "Redd" call yourself whatever you like and tell others to use your new name. Introduce yourself as Boris or whatever you have chosen. You can do this before you change it legally. Changing your name legally, however, is straightforward.

It's not that difficult. Takes a few hours downtown at the county clerk's office. That's it. Go for it.

• Tavy

Simple, we call it a Deed Poll in the UK. Look online on how to change your name.

• You don't say where you're from. A legal name change in the USA is a fairly straightforward process. You go to the local probate court, request the necessary form, fill it out, pay the fee and wait for a court date. When you appear before the judge simply explain the circumstances and they'll okay the change. Now the pain in the butt part comes AFTER. Now you have to inform family, friends, Social Security, the DMV, employers, banks, insurers, other financial institutions, utilities and anyone else you do business with. Some may require an official copy of the name change, so be sure to get at least a few before you leave the courthouse so you don't have to make another trip.