Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

I am disgusted at people, I tripped at the mall today & fell flat on my face,wasn’t hurt but pride, everyone stared, do people not help now?

Im 40 not 80 and am not fat or disabled.

My sneaker shoelace became undone

A few people snickered and i got a lot of stares.

Does anyone help now?

I lay there a couple of seconds in shock and embRassed.

Guess im too ugly to help

Yes, people do film & post everything.. I may be the ugly old woman falling on someones social media..

• A C

Sorry  that happened to you.  There are still some people who are willing to help but many are cold-hearted.  It's a sign of the times.  Refer to 2 timothy 3:1-5.

Source(s): The New Testament (recommended reading)

OK, there are a lot of ignorant fools out there. In recent years, good manners and chivalry has gone down a lot. I say, focus on the few good people in your life and mentally block out the bad ones - they'll get theirs in the afterlife.

people do not want to help others like they did years ago. my children's dad, had M.S. and sometimes he would fall and people would call him a drunk instead of helping him get up. I would not believe how people are so mean and nasty and getting worse every second

• Ann

Unfortunately, people today don't seem to know what civility is. In addition to that, there are people who would try to sue a person who helped them up, if something happened in the process. That is why there is a Good Samaritan law. It is rare in today's society to see someone open a door for another person, offer to help if there's a mishap, or anything.

Had more to go with people not having natural affection anymore than your looks unfortunately. Me - Me attitude

• Cara

Did you actually NEED help?  I remember two occasions when I fell in the street - once I slipped on some ice, and another time I twisted my ankle on some uneven ground. Both times I wasn't really hurt but just needed half a minute to recover, and both times kind people tried to help me up, which I didn't really want. However, nobody laughed, and I think that's a new thing and rather unpleasant. Perhaps one needs to laugh oneself in that situation.

You say you lay there for a couple of seconds. I think that's your answer: you weren't down long enough for anyone to think it was a problem.

I've learned over the years that if you fall, you should stay immobile for maybe 20 seconds (that's quite long) to assess whether anything serious has happened. If you spring to your feet, as you might well be able to do before the shock kicks in, you may faint a moment later, or a leg might give way.

If you had stayed down, then FOR SURE someone would have stepped up.

that would disgust me too, they shouldve called for help, ive seen people fall before myself and i couldnt lift them if i tried but i get them help, i dont stand there and watch, wonder what their problem was, youre not the one thats ugly, they are for not helping

You didn't stay down long enough to apparently need help, and many of us have had this same experience thus know that if help was offered, it would make it far more embarrassing because it would draw people's attention to you even more. So honestly, your disgust shouldn't exist. I imagine it was funny to see you trip on your shoelace.

Apparently you didn't really seem to be injured or disabled, so they were not inclined to offer you help. I really doubt it has anything to do with your looks.