Anonymous

How personal is too personal for grad school essay ? ?

I recently finished my degree in philosophy with a pre law concentration . My major gpa is a 3.3 but overall gpa is 2.8. I went through a rape situation during my junior year which caused my gpa to drop significantly while I pushed through college at the time. I plan to pursue my JD/MBA and am unsure if this is something I should express since one of the schools I’m interested in gives you an optional essay to explain any discrepancy’s in the application such as low grades. I was involved in over 15 extracurricular clubs and activities and also completed my associates degree in business administration. Since then I have been awarded the presidential award for over 100 community service hours and devoted my time helping others. I am afraid the gpa will stop me from getting into my dream school and would like a chance to explain . Is this something I should explain ?

Find a grad school you like, preferably one with a female as head of the department. Ask for an appointment to talk with her about her school and your background. Talk with her about the stuff you bring up here including why your GPA dropped doing under gad work. Ask if your background seems compatible with her program but don't ask for sympathy. The head of a department usually has a lot of leeway and if she finds your story interesting she'll get you in. Meeting this person face to face is critical.

It's way too personal ...and at the risk of sounding insensitive, it's very whiny. I would only consider writing about something like that if it were high-profile and dramatic- like the girl who got dragged off a bicycle, kidnapped, raped, had bones broken, etc. If it's a "I got drunk and some guy took advantage of me at a party" type of thing, I think it will encourage them to see YOU as a liability.

I would not go into detail about it. Just explain that you experienced a "personal crisis". If you get an interview you may consider defining it but mentioning it in the essay may make it appear that you are trying to garner sympathy.

• Lisa A

That is awkward.

Relate your personal story to your study of the law in your essay.