How much dna do i share with my family?

My dad has a half sister so how much dna would we share? She’s my aunt but not my dads FULL blooded sister. Thanks. 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

jazsinc is correct, but let's assume you mean genetic markers:

you have 23 of your father's 46 chromosomes, and he will typically share about 11.5 with his halfsister.

So if you calculate 1/2 times 1/4 that would lead to 1/8. The problem is that passing on chromosomes is a lottery, so significant deviations are very possible - and because you can't divide 46 by 8, partly necessary

• 1 month ago

The variable component would be between 0 and 50%, and likely about 25%. Half of you is from your father. If all of that father half was identical to the half shared with his half sister, then you would have 50% with the sister too. Of course, it is equally possible that the half from your dad came solely from the half not shared with his sister, so you would share nothing with the half-sister. Randomness says that you would get half from your dad's father and half from your dad's mom, and thus share half of the half shared between dad and half-sister, or 25%.

• 1 month ago

If you do the math it would probably be around 12.5%.

• 1 month ago

Almost all of it. You share about 99.9% of your DNA with any random stranger who lives in your home town.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

About 12.5%. Being a "half", they would have half the DNA percentage of a full relationship. An aunt-niece/nephew relationship would normally be 25%.

https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_statistics

• 1 month ago

I genuinely cannot tell if you're trolling, because your posting history is otherwise fairly normal. Anyway, you have roughly 50% of your father's genetics, so in turn you would share roughly 25% of your aunt's genetics. That's of course assuming there's no other generational relations between families that you're not aware of, like your mom and dad sharing a distant grandpa or some such nonsense.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.