Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 4 weeks ago

If you say you own something, or refer to something as "my own" is that the same usage of the word "own"?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • geezer
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

''My own house''.

The word OWN is being used as an adjective .. describing the house as 'yours'.

''I own my house''.

The word OWN is now being used as a verb ..... describing what you are 'doing'

and the word MY has become the adjective.

• 4 weeks ago

No it does not. The two probably are related in origin, but that’s all.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

You've already chosen, so I don't know if you'll see this, but I think only Gypsyfish is near the truth. If you own a car, you don't refer to it as "my own car." You just say "my car." If someone asks "Whose car is that?" you say "it's mine" not "it's my own."

"My own" is used to emphasize that something is yours. For instance, if it's a tangible object: "Do you need a towel?" "No thanks, I brought my own." If it's something intangible: "Did your learn that in school?" "No, it's my own theory."

• 4 weeks ago

Yes. It means that you are referring to something that belongs to you. It could be your own car, your own business, your own home, etc. It could also be your own ideas, your own thoughts or beliefs, etc.

• geezer
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Not the same ''usage'' of the word .. ''My own'' - own is a adjective .. ''I own'' - own is a verb.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

In the phrase "my own," the word "own" is an adjective.

When you "own" something, "own" is a verb.

• 4 weeks ago

Yes, generally it would be understood that actual ownership of the object is legitamate. The only exception would be from those persons who have a natural tendency to exaggerate or lie. In the case of an existing mortgage or loan on a house or car, one could still say "I own it." even though technically the lender owns it until it is fully paid off.

• 4 weeks ago

You can use "my own" when you're talking about things you don't "own".

My own opinion is...

My own family does this...

I have my own ideas on that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.