Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

Minnesota auto title transfers?

I have a truck. Friend B sold it to friend A. They signed but didn't put a date on the title because **** the government. Friend A sold the truck to me. He hasn't transferred the title to himself yet. In Minnesota you need insurance to transfer a title. Does friend A need to be on my insurance policy to transfer the title? I'm buying insurance because I have possession of the truck and own it, but I don't know if he needs to be a driver, the policyholder, or not on the insurance at all for him to transfer the title to himself. Proof of insurance is required and he could bring that, but his name wouldn't be on it anywhere. I would guess that as long as the vehicle is insured for someone that anything goes but I'd like confirmation on that.

• May

You are involved in a "jumped title" scheme which is illegal.

Do not buy this vehicle unless you are furnished with a title that lists the true owner on it.

You, as the new owner, not the seller, is the one who must have insurance on the vehicle in order to get it registered.

I suggest that you forget about this "deal" until you get your s--t together and are dry behind the ears.

"Friend A" cannot legally sell the truck to you without putting the title in his name first. You DO NOT LEGALLY OWN IT YET. Only a licensed dealer is allowed to reassign a title.

EPIC FAIL

You will have to ask your insurance company whether you can insure the vehicle and put your friend on the policy in this situation. We cannot verify that because each state has different rules and each insurance company has their own policies regarding who can insure what. My guess is they won't and your "friend" needs to get his own policy.

• Ron

Your name isn't on the title so you don't own diddly squat. Friend A needs to get insurance in his name and get it titled in his name