Anonymous

What are good careers for disabled people?

I'm very intelligent at least in math, science

and music. However, my problem is I was

born with slight-autism. It doesn't mean I'm

stupid. It means I have poor listening-skills

and social-cues. I have a hard-time remembering

or following instructions.

My other problem is that because of

my awkwardness, I get worn out

working more than 30 hours/week.

I looked into bookkeeping: that's

no good. Computers are taking

over that industry. I looked into

math-tutoring. They want bachelor's

degrees and only pay minimum-wage.

I'm really lost. Help!

• Go back to school. Given what you say you are good in you will only find jobs in those fields with a college education. Nearly all employment that is not minimum wage requires computer skills.

in general: people with disabilities can be walmart greeter, cashier, cook, janitor, teacher, accountant, doctor, lawyer.

for you,

are you in the US? contact your local vocational rehab program. they can match you with jobs that fit your abilities and help with accommodations and training.

if you don't have work history, you should take a minimum wage job for now. You need too prove you are a good worker. Sometimes people start at minimum wage and get promoted in the same company.

Get a college degree. You can do a lot of things. There's computer science, engineering, finance and medicine. You could work for a pharmaceutical company. Btw, tutors make more than minimum wage, but they don't make a lot. It's mainly a side gig to earn extra money in college unless you're looking to own a Sylvan Learning Center franchise. But if you have a difficult time connecting with people, you probably don't want to make tutoring your full time career. It can still be a good way to earn a few bucks while you're in college, though.

Have you considered being a Wal-Mart greeter?

I can tell you're lost. For example, this section is "politics". You may notice that there's an entire career and business section for questions like this where you'll receive more adequate help.

Edit: Now that it's in a better category, have you considered something akin to working as a librarian? Not only would the field be suitable for someone like yourself, but you would have an opportunity to suggest they develop programs for tutoring children with special needs after school, as you would have a better understanding of them.

Is there an academic advisor you could talk to?