zoe asked in PetsDogs · 3 weeks ago

so i cut my dogs nails today and a couple minutes later, around his thumb nail starting bleeding. he’s shaking and won’t let me touch him. ?

it starting bleeding when i picked him up and he just started screaming. and that’s when i noticed the bleeding and it hasn’t stopped for 4 hours now. i tried to stop the bleeding but he bites and growls when i touch him. 

I mean what do you think happened?

You broke his nail and he's scared.

Get a professional to show you how to do it.

• Casey

Its always good to have kwikstop or as another user suggested silver nitrite, but if you don't have those you can use the flower. Dab a little onto the ends of the nail you might have to repeat several times but it will help clot it. Once it does stop bleeding DO NOT remove the flower. Just leave it there and it will fall off eventually. Trying to clean it off yourself might reopen the blood vessel.

If you're going to cut your dog's nails you need to have silver nitrate swabs that's the caustic to cauterize the wound if you accidentally cut into the quick of the nail. Go find yourself some chlorinated brake spray that's basically chloroform spray it on a sheet and toss it over your dog it will pass out in a minute or so don't overdo it then put your dog In a carrier and take him to the vet if your dog is still bleeding from the wound. Me I just take the tip I'm a butter knife that I've heated up on the burner in touch it to the bleeding now and cauterize the vein only takes a second before your dog wakes up and bites the crap out of you. These are silver nitrate swabs they're specially for ceiling up pet nail injuries or small cuts on yourself

You hurt him. I'm surprised that he has thumbs, by the way. This is why MY Vet suggests professional nail trims. If he is bleeding and you can't stop the bleeding TAKE HIM TO THE VET.

Imagine if someone cut off part of your cuticle and you couldn't stop the bleeding. I'm sure you'd go to a Doctor.

• Casey
      3 weeks agoReport

even professionals quick animals sometimes. **** happens

Dogs have something called the quick inside of their nails so you probably cut it too short and hit that. It would also be good to apply pressure, apply something cold, then the best thing to use is styptic powder and finally try to bandage it up 

• marty

For the bleeding, Pour some flour, baking soda or cornstarch into your palm.

Gently dip your dog’s nail into the flour, baking soda or cornstarch.

If the bleeding doesn’t stop dip their nail once again (don’t wipe off your dog’s nail before dipping again).

Gently compress your dog’s nail with a cloth or towel for a few minutes until the bleeding stops.

take him to the vet and let them deal with it