Jorge asked in HealthMental Health · 4 weeks ago

How does Anxiety work?

I’ve been having horrible anxiety for about two months now. I was wondering, does doing things like relaxing and taking breaks help with anxiety? Or is it only a temporary solution? I need help. Please.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Thank you for reaching out for help. It sounds like you have been through a lot lately. Anxiety and intrusive thoughts can be scary, but it is possible to stop them. The thoughts that you think dictate the feelings that you feel. If you think negative, scary, or panicky thoughts, your brain releases chemicals that make you feel anxiety and irrational thoughts. If you think positive thoughts, your brain releases chemicals that make you feel happy and calm. To overcome anxiety, you must change your thought patterns. The average person thinks a negative thought every two minutes! Then, after writing down the negative or scary thought, immediately write down or say out loud a positive thought. Come up with a list of positive thoughts that you can tell yourself: “I’m OK.” “Today is a good day because I am choosing that it will be.” “I am strong.” “This too will pass, and I will get through this.”

Additionally, check out the following 99 coping skills, which can help you to refocus your thoughts on positive things: http://www.yourlifeyourvoice.org/DiscoverIt/Articl...

Sometimes it can help to talk to someone and tell them about what you are going through. Please know that there are people who can and will help you with what you are going through.

I hope that you will continue to reach out! Sincerely, KO, Counselor

Source(s): Boys Town National Hotline -- Available 24/7 at 1-800-448-3000 -- Teens and Young Adults; http://www.yourlifeyourvoice.org/
  • 4 weeks ago

Anxiety;

All people experience fear and anxiety. Fear is an emotional, physiologic, and behavioral response to a recognized external threat-- for example, an intruder or a run a way truck. Anxiety is an unpleasant emotional state that has a less clear source. Anxiety is often accompanied by physiologic and behavioral changes similar to those caused by fear. Because of these similarities, people often use the term anxiety and fear interchangeably.

Anxiety is a response to stress, such as a break up of a relationship or exposure to a life- threatening disaster. One theory holds that anxiety may also be a reaction to a repressed sexual or aggressive impulse that's threatening to over ride the psychologic defenses that normally keep such drives in check. As such, anxiety indicates the presence of psychologic conflict.

Anxiety can occur suddenly, as in a panic, or gradually over minutes, hours or days. The anxiety itself can last for any length of time, from a few seconds to years. Anxiety ranges in intensity from barely noticeable qualms to full- blown panic.

Anxiety serves as one element in a wide range of flexible responses that are essential for people to survive in a dangerous world. A certain amount of anxiety introduces an appropriate element of caution in potentially dangerous situations. Most of the time, a person's level of anxiety makes appropriate and imperceptible shifts along a spectrum of consciousness from sleep through alertness to anxiety and fear and back again. Sometimes , however, a person's anxiety response system operates improperly or is over whelmed by events; in this case, an anxiety disorder can arise.

Anxiety disorders are the most common type of psychiatric disorder. The diagnose of an anxiety disorder is based largely on its symptoms. However, symptoms identical to those of an anxiety disorder can be caused by a medical condition(such as a over active thyroid gland) or by the use of a prescribed or illicit drug (corticosteroids or cocaine). A family history of an anxiety disorder may help the health care provider make the diagnose, since the predisposition to a specific anxiety disorder as well as a susceptibility to anxiety disorders in general often is hereditary. Accurate diagnose is important, since treatment varies from one disorder to another. Depending on the disorder, behavioral therapy, drugs, or psychotherapy, alone or in appropriate combinations, can significantly relieve the distress and dysfunction for most people.

Generalized anxiety disorder consists of excessive, almost daily anxiety and worry about a variety of activities or events.

Anxiety disorders by medical or use of drugs or by neurologic disorders (head injury, brain infection, or inner ear disease, cardiovascular disorders and respiratory disorders).

Phobic involve persistent, unrealistic, intense anxiety in response to specific external situations like looking down from high places, or coming into contact with large dogs.

Agoraphobia is fear of open areas, and being trapped if wish to leave.

Specific phobias, these are the most common of the anxiety disorders;;;;fear of animals, the dark, people, rodents, snakes, storms, water, bugs, flying so on and so on.

Social phobia effects many aspects of life family's, relationships, education, work, leisure, dating,

OCD Obsessive compulsive disorder.

Posttraumatic stress is an disorder ,anxiety by exposure to an over whelming traumatic event in which the person later repeatedly reexperiences the event.

Source(s): nurse
  • 4 weeks ago

Why would you have anxiety? Why do worry? Just don't do crime or do something stupid.

That is all we gonna do is... work, sleep, eat and fart.

It isn't like someone is scamming us everyday.

• 4 weeks ago

no. unfortunately it doesn't. you'll still get it regardless. the most you can do is take pills for it & take deep breaths every time you get it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Theanine helps. 200 mg on an empty stomach 2-3 times a day.

• 4 weeks ago

3 steps to cure anxiety

1. take deep breaths

2 #### ## #### ######

3 cured

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.