Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 3 weeks ago

Does believing LGBTQ is wrong, but still supporting LGBTQ rights considered homophobic?

My bible group says that in order for me to be a true christian, i have to fully follow the Bible (including what the bible says on homosexuality). And i don't know why the bible says it was wrong, which is why i have no problem with ppl being lgbtq. I don't have the right to tell someone how to live their life. I hope that i can be a true christian and still love and support the lgbtq. I believe that even if i choose to believe its a sin, but still choose to fight for their rights and treat them like everybody else, that would automatically make me homophobic and i don't want to be. I just want to be a good christian and a good person. I would appreciate y'alls insight. Thnx

i don't think it is. But if you're encouraging people to commit sexual sin, gay or straight, then you're not being a good person.

• reme_1

Religion poisons everything. Look at what it is doing to you.

well, you already are seeing that there's no logic in their calling you homophobic, since you want to help them; they call you that simply for believing what God says about this behavior. They hurt their cause equating hatred with believing God's word . However, you would actually be compromising your faith by spending your energy on "social rights", when they are becoming the enemy of Christians.

So, yes, we say to them "do whatever you want to do", but also, we say "don't force me to give you social approval and help you to practice your lifestyle", and "respect my own particular views, even if they're different from yours".

• Anonymous3 weeks agoReport

I wanted to do that in the past, but i cant agree to disagree without being called "homophobic". One can legitimately want the best for an lgbtq person, love them, fight for lgbtq rights and protection laws but if one simply says they don't agree with it, they're homophobic.

Yes, it is. But:

While the Bible disapproves of homosexual acts, it does not condone hatred of homosexuals or homophobia. Instead, Christians are directed to “respect everyone.” 1 Peter 2:17

Even though they do not condone homosexual relations, true Christians show kindness to all people. Matthew 7:12

Therefore, genuine Christians are not homophobic.

You can't be a good Christian and a good person, the two are mutually exclusive.

• Rico

People on both sides of the argument seem to confuse morality and ethics.

The Bible makes it clear that one can act morally as a Christian on the subject by remaining celibate if same sex attracted (or not married to a spouse of the opposite gender), while at the same time acting ethically by ensuring they love their neighbour as themselves (Mark 12:31), and obeying the civil law, insomuch as they (the civil laws) don’t cause a Christian to knowingly defy God (Romans 13) which means that they should be respectful of the opinions of those who are not christians who do things which are permissible but not beneficial in regards to sexuality (1 Corinthians 6:12j

• Jake

A person can battle homosexual activity using voting, political activism, the rosary and fasting.

• Rico
      3 weeks agoReport

Outing against same sex laws didn’t work for the homophobe in Australia.

Ts and Qs aren't homosexuals so you can't be homophobic about them. Bible never said a thing about Ts and Qs.

Do not let the Bible override your empathy for others and if Christianity was a pious religion it shouldn't even attempt to.

First phrase that came to MY mind..? Was "cognitive dissonance". And rather a hardcore case of it, to boot!! That sh*t can't be healthy. :S

If you want to realign your mind..? I'd personally recommend keeping your natural human sense of morality and compassion! While tossing out the immoral piece of crap religion.