What percentage of books published that go to a second edition sold less than projected in their first​ edition?

Update:

Textbook publishers must estimate the sales of new​ (first-edition) books. The records indicate that 20​% of all new books sell more than​ projected, 40​% sell close to the number​ projected, and 40​% sell less than projected. Of those that sell more than​ projected, 70​% are revised for a second​ edition, as are 40​% of those that sell close to the number​ projected, and 35​% of those that sell less than projected.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

You're joking, right. Do you really expect someone to do all the research it takes to answer this question? Be real.

• 4 weeks ago

You know what is more stupid than not being able to do simple math problems?

Thinking that the best people to do them for you are lit. majors.

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

To answer that question, one would have to do an incredible amount of research. And even going on whatever figures are available, it's doubtful that one would be able to come up with any definitive figure. I'm assuming that's why you're asking it here, because you'd rather outsource the task to somebody else. I'm not going to spend hours compiling numbers and statistics for you by poring over the records of publishers, book vendors, and reading all sorts of articles on the subject because it's not a question that I'm dying to answer. Seeing as it is for you, you've got a lot of work ahead of you. It's completely unreasonable to expect that someone might be willing to expend that kind of effort simply because you're curious to know.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.