Roy asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 month ago

Does anyone else think that the amount of junk food and sugary drinks should be taxed at high rates to curb obesity and other health issues?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

that wouldnt be a bad idea

• 1 month ago

Or maybe we should tax the makers of video games and TV because they make people so sedentary. Or raise the price of cars so people will walk more and take public transportation (if their communities even have public transportation). Or maybe lower the taxes on cigarettes so people will smoke more since smoking curbs the appetite. No, I think we should let people decide their health matters for themselves.

• 1 month ago

I don't like the extra tax on soda and sugar drinks because it's something that doesn't make EVERYONE obese. I agree with taxing alcohol and cigarettes because only a small percentage of the population use those and I don't mind paying the tax because I choose to drink. Sugar is in a buttload of products and again, consuming those items doesn't inherently cause obesity so its unfair to the people who just wants a soda once in awhile

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

But high-fructose corn syrup is already being highly subsidized with taxpayer money.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I sure don't. It's still a free country and you should be able to eat what you want to eat.

• Roy1 month agoReport

I didn't say you couldn't eat them. I asked if it should be taxed higher.

• Brian
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

It is called "Self-Control".

• Roy1 month agoReport

Is it not harder to control when there are convenience store every 500 ft in most towns. Fast food places on every corner. Commercials on the radio and tv advertising foods?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Male homosexuality should be taxed due to HIV infections and anal diseases.

• 1 month ago

Why not subsidize healthy food making it less expensive .

Oh , I get it , you're a Democrat and so into Punishment !

• Ryde,0n
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

The whole " Punishment " thing is very Leftists .

• 1 month ago

Let me guess. You're a liberal. Trying to control Americans already.

• Roy1 month agoReport

If anything I'm a free thinking Independent but I don't like to be "grouped"

• 1 month ago

No.

-------------

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.