My cousin might take my favorite name for a baby boy?

My cousin already has like 3 kids and is pregnant again and unlike her I’m not in a rush to have kids...anyway, she said she was thinking about naming it Max if it’s a boy and I am so mad because that has literally been my favorite boys name for my entire life. It was my grandfathers name and he had dark hair, I have dark curly hair and I’ve  always pictured a boy with dark curly hair named maxamilian, not some blonde big headed baby like all her kids..., what do I do.. 

• PR
    Best Answer

She may not even use this name, so try to relax. This is an issue when people discuss names and especially among family. If you eventually get pregnant, DO NOT share the name with others until the baby is born. 

Sometimes, cousins do name their children the same names. By the time you are pregnant, you may have a new favorite name. You could also consider similar names and use Max as a nickname. One such name might be Maddox. 

You also could begin casually dropping other names around your cousin, but be very cautious because she might catch on. Jaxxon might be one to mention you "heard" somewhere. 

If you make this an issue, she will most likely use the name Max. Truthfully, Max as the given name is a bit short, so using a longer version of the name might work better, anyway. If she names her son "Max" and you use Maximillion, they won't really be the same names. 

• GEEGEE

Does she share the same grandfather? Perhaps that's part of her reason for considering it. Two children in an extended family often share first names especially if they are family names. Disappointing to be sure since you have had your heart set on the name for ages, but more than one Max is fine.

• F
      4 weeks agoReport

Cousins ALWAYS have a common set of grand parents.

Don't worry about it. You can always name your son Max, too. They won't have the same last name and the family can sort them out. I saw an obituary recently for an obviously much-loved grandfather. He had three grandsons named after him, two of whom also had the same last name (but they lived in different states).

• GB

One of my aunts, gave her younger son the same name as my brother (who is a year older than our cousin.) Neith of the moms were precious about their children's first names.

• GB
      4 weeks agoReport

I tried to edit it to. Neither of the moms.

• John P

Sort yourself out with your cousin. Why involve strangers with a decision which concerns only yourself and your cousin?

• Jill

She can name her baby anything she likes and so can you. You said she MIGHT use it so she might change her mind or have a girl anyway. Either way there's nothing you can do but suck it up.

BTW the usual spelling is Maximilian and there's no guarantee that yours would be a boy with dark curly hair. In fact there's no guarantee that you will even have a child when decide you are ready.

• sue her. ()()()

No one owns a name. She can't "take" anything. And you can't claim you guys have a mutual respect when you talk about her in such a way, so no reason she should take your wishes into consideration.

• helene

This is not a big deal. I dated an Italian guy from Brooklyn, and let's just say there are a limited number of names in use. This guy had a brother named Phil and two cousins named Phil. A dad named Frank, a brother named Frank and three cousins named Frank. Two cousins with his own name.

It's just not that weird to have cousins with the same name.

So you don't own the name.😉

So use it anyway or use it as a middle. It wasn’t “ yours” anyway. It’s free to use. It isn’t that great of a name anyway

• Anonymous1 month agoReport

Well you go ahead and name your kid Frank and I’ll name mine something “not that great” like max